When it comes to tucker time for your pet, here’s a list of foods to keep off limits:
- Chocolate, coffee and caffeine – these contain theobromine and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and even death in dogs
- Grapes, sultanas and raisins – can cause sudden kidney failure in dogs
- Avocados – can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs
- Garlic and onions – damage red blood cells and cause life threatening anaemia
- Macadamia nuts – can cause weakness, vomiting and joint pain
- Chewing gum – contains xylitol, an artificial sweetener that leads to low levels of insulin and low blood sugar, vomiting and collapse
Please phone us for advice immediately if your pet eats any of the above foods – we can often induce vomiting and help reduce the toxicity.